Four Caribbean countries record COVID deaths
Story via CMC – Four Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries recorded deaths from the coronavirus (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours and several other regional countries reported more positive cases of the virus that has killed nearly a thousand people in CARICOM so far.
In Jamaica, the Western Regional Health Authority (WRHA) said a 25-year-old pregnant woman and a COVID-19 patient died at hospitals n the western region.
The WHRA said that the pregnant woman had been admitted to the Noel Holmes Hospital on September 24 and suffered a sudden cardiac arrest on Monday.
The death of an 83- year-old male patient who was being treated for COVID-19 at the Savanna-la-Mar Public General Hospital, was also recorded over the past 24 hours.
The hospital said preliminary reports from the hospital indicate that he was improving at the time of death. Police investigations are ongoing into the circumstances leading to his death.
The Ministry of Health Tuesday said that the island recorded three COVID-19 deaths and 97 new cases of the virus.
It provided no details on three deceased but noted that two more deaths were also under investigation. The latest deaths bring the total confirmed deaths to 123.
The new cases consist of 29 males and 67 females with ages ranging from 13 years to 88 years old, the ministry said, adding that 39 more patients have recovered from the virus, pushing total recoveries to 2,674.
In Trinidad and Tobago, the Ministry of Health reported Tuesday that an elderly male had died from the virus, pushing the death toll to 83.
It said also that 51 more people have tested positive for the virus, bringing the total number of active cases in TT to 1,784. The total number of positive cases is now 4,818.
The ministry said 1,107 persons have been discharged from hospitals and that there are 57 recovered community cases, referring to patients who were in self-isolation and met the ministry’s discharge criteria.
There is a total of 1,844 recovered community cases.
In the Bahamas, the Ministry of Health confirmed 107 new cases bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 4,559.
There have been 3,396 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Providence, 649 in Grand Bahama, 157 in Abaco and 54 cases in Bimini.
The Ministry of Health also reports that one new death and three deaths under investigation from New Providence are confirmed as COVID-19 related,’
It said two other deaths under investigation have now been classified as non-COVID-19 related.
“These unfortunate deaths decrease the deaths under investigation to 13, increase the non-COVID-19 related deaths to 19 and tally the confirmed death toll at 100.
“To date, twenty-two thousand three hundred twenty-four (22,324) tests have been completed. Hospitalized cases increased by three (3) and are now tallied at one hundred twelve (112). Further, there were one hundred (100) recovered cases so that the total recovered cases now stand at two thousand four hundred seventy-five (2,475).,” the Ministry added.
Guyana’s Ministry of Health on Monday evening recorded yet another COVID-19 related death bringing the death toll to 93. The latest death had been the third for the past 24 hours.
The latest fatality is an 84-year-old female from Region 4 (Demerara-Mahaica), who died while receiving care at a medical facility.
“Officials of the Ministry have contacted all relatives and persons to facilitate contact tracing and rapid assistance to everyone who may have been exposed to the now-deceased person. The Ministry is also appealing to the general public to respect the confidentiality of the deceased and her family and to allow them to mourn their tragic loss in peace,” according to the Ministry’s statement.
Earlier, the ministry had reported that a 38-year-old man had died from the virus.
Guyana has 3, 188 cases of the virus with a total of 1,972 having recorded.
In Suriname, 10 of the 13 corona infections in the past 24 hours have been registered in the capital Paramaribo.
Overall, the active cases amount to 93 and the total number of positive cases is 4,954.
“In the past 24 hours, fourteen people were declared cured, which increased the total to 4,755. There are still thirty people in the hospitals and six people in the intensive care units. Furthermore, there are now only nineteen people in quarantine,” the authorities said in a statement.
The death toll remains at 106.
Comments are closed.