CMO says Saint Lucia at critical stage of COVID-19 outbreak

Dr. Sharon Belmar George, CMO Saint Lucia
232

Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr. Sharon Belmar George has said Saint Lucia is at a critical stage of the COVID-19 outbreak, in her latest update on the virus. She made the statement on Thursday.

The statement is reproduced below:

Saint Lucia has now recorded a total of 31 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 27 of the confirmed cases have recovered, and currently there are 4 active cases in care at the Respiratory Hospital.

The last 3 cases have been nationals without a history of travel, which suggests the likelihood of community spread of COVID-19.

The health teams are still undergoing investigations within the communities of concern along with contact tracing and testing.

The updates on these cases will be provided later today.

Saint Lucia is at a critical stage in the COVID-19 outbreak. Undertaking an effective response on all levels will determine our success in quickly identifying, treating and managing of cases and preventing possible complications and deaths.

Today, I would like to make a particular appeal to all community leaders: gatekeepers, political representatives, constituency councils heads, heads of community based organizations, faith based organizations, sports clubs and all persons in positions of leaders and influence within our various communities, to add their voice in the request for the adhering to healthy habits within communities to reduce the risk for being exposed to COVID-19. The Ministry of Health and Wellness is committed to ensuring our systems are prepared to manage the detection and management of this infection.

We anticipate and are preparing for an increase in cases within communities.

To do this we need everyone’s support to protect the health and safety of our entire nation, particularly our most vulnerable including the elderly and people living with chronic conditions.

At this point, to maintain the gains we achieved so far, and given the increased risks introduced by these new cases, and maintain public health and safety, it is necessary that each and every one of us recognize we are needed to be part of the solution to this health threat.

This includes the consistent use of masks in all public places, keeping a safe distance from others, avoiding mass crowd activities and social activities, maintain the infection prevention and control measures including at home, workplaces, avoiding contact with others with respiratory signs and symptoms as well as or seeking immediate care if you develop have these signs or symptoms.

The five community respiratory clinics remain open for persons who present signs and symptoms.

The 311 information hotline is available to help address COVID-19 related questions and concerns.

The treatment and care for COVID-19 related conditions remain free of charge to the public.

The Ministry of Health and Wellness will continue providing updates as new information is
received.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: