Suriname announces total COVID-19 lockdown

1,379

(Caribbean Loop News) The Government of Suriname on Saturday announced a total lockdown of the country for just over two weeks in an effort to stem the spread of COVID-19.

The announcement was made by President Chandrikapersad Santokhi who said that his administration has promulgated Code Purple, the worst risk level for the pandemic, for the entire country and Code Black for the situation in hospitals.

The total lockdown will start from Monday until June 18th

The head of state, who painted a grim picture of the situation, said that there’s a shortage of oxygen, hospital beds and there is a shortage of medical staff and health workers. 

As of March last year, when Covid-19 first emerged in Suriname, 282 people have died of this disease and this month has been the deadliest month since the pandemic broke out – with 78 deaths.

Read more at: Caribbean Loop News

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: