Tropical Storm Erika formed in the Atlantic: Watches issued for Leeward Islands
Tuesday morning update on Tropical Storm Erika:
- Tropical Storm Erika formed late Monday night in the central Atlantic and is about 840 miles east of the Leeward Islands.
- Tropical storm watches were posted early Tuesday morning for parts of the Leeward Islands, and additional watches and or warnings may be required soon.
- Erika is expected to remain a tropical storm and gather strength as it moves quickly to the west.
- The northern Leeward Islands may feel tropical storm-force winds by late Wednesday night into early Thursday.
- Erika may then bring more rain to drought-suffering Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
- Erika’s future track and intensity beyond Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands is highly uncertain.